We will not have a dedicated Youth Show in 2017.
You are encouraged to attend our regular shows, where you can show in halter and participate in Novice Performance. We have many members on site willing to answer questions and welcome you into this fun hobby!
Please click on the No Frills page, where you can find more information.
Stay tuned for additional youth news.
|Download the show packet in .pdf format||Download the show packet in Word format|
|Download the Youth classlist in .pdf format||Download the Youth classlist in Word format|
Huntley Park District
12015 Mill Street
Times: Show hall opens at 7:15am; judging starts at 8:15am. Show ends at approximately 4 p.m.
- All children must be 18 years of age or younger.
- All showers will compete in the same breed classes and scene classes.
- The classlist for this show closely resembles the No Frills Show Series Classlist so that youth may have a similar experience as the showers do in the shows open to all ages.
GLC Inc. presents this educational series in order to promote and encourage interest in the study of horses and the hobby of model horses, and to provide opportunities to individuals for the purpose of improving or developing their capabilities regarding model horse judging skills. We welcome new faces, and all skill levels. Please join us!
GLC Member Incentive
- For more information about membership and discounts at our regular No Frills Series shows, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Members have the first opportunity to enter the No Frills Series shows, and purchase special runs offered exclusively to members.
- Entry fee is $35 ($25 for GLC members). Visit our Membership page for membership information. One-year memberships are $15 for youth under the age of 18. Adult memberships are $35 per year, and family packages are available.
- Hall space is limited. Entries will NOT be reserved without payment or a completed entry form (see attached) for this series. Walk-ins will not be accepted.
All children must be 18 years of age or younger.
All showers will compete in the same breed classes and scene classes.
The classlist for this show closely resembles the No Frills Show Series Classlist so that youth may have a similar experience as the showers do in the shows open to all ages.
Parents may not show the child’s horses for them.
- No fee/entry sharing is allowed. Everyone must personally own the models they are exhibiting.
- GLC Inc’s Refund Policy is as follows: No refunds shall be given unless the paid entrant’s spot can be filled by another entrant.
- Please complete the entry form and send it to: Great Lakes Congress, Inc., 12172 S. Rt. 47, Suite 204, Huntley, IL 60142 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Checks must be made payable to Great Lakes Congress, Inc. You also have the option of paying your entry fees via PayPal at email@example.com, or on our Sign Up page.
- Please note: There will be a $55 charge for any checks returned for insufficient funds (bank fee plus $10). In addition to the insufficient funds charge, the check writer will be asked to pay cash/money order for any other shows, raffle tickets, or silent auction items for the next 12 months. If two checks are returned for insufficient funds within the space of two years, GLC reserves the right to deny future show entries.
Day of Show Information
- The judge will be available for feedback on your entry when requested. Judges will give a detailed summary of their judging appraisal of each class as needed or requested.
- We will have multiple rings running simultaneously. Please listen for your division and classes!
- Models are to be identified with stringed tags. Side A: breed and gender; Side B: horse’s name and owner’s initials.
- Classes will be placed first through sixth place. Recycled flat ribbons and recycled custom rosettes will be awarded during the series.
- Entrants are allowed three horses per class in halter, two in performance. Up to two (2) additional horses may be entered per halter class at the cost of $1.00 each. The entrant shall place the additional fee next to the extra horse(s) s/he is entering. The entrant is responsible for having correct change as GLC, Inc. cannot guarantee having small bills.
- Classes may be split at judge’s discretion.
- Questions about entries and classes should be directed to the appropriate judge
- No live animals and no smoking are allowed at any of our events. Thank you!
- The lunch break will occur around noon, and will be 45 minutes. There are several restaurants nearby. GLC Inc will offer pop/water at 50 cents per bottle or can.
Parent Information – Please Read
- This show is for Youth showers only.
- For proper learning, the child must be allowed to fully handle and tack his or her horses. Children must be allowed to compete with one another, on their level.
- Parents may help their children bring in totes and other materials from their car, but are prohibited from handling the child’s horses, tack, diorama materials, or other show items until the show is over (see disqualification, below).
- If a parent is found to be helping his or her child tack up and show their models, that child will be disqualified and eliminated from further competition.
- Showers are encouraged to ask other showers and GLC members for assistance.
- Courteous behaviour is expected from all participants, and discourteous showers or parents will be asked to leave.
Raffle and Silent Auction Information:
We will have a few special raffle and silent auction items at each show. You never know what you’re going to find! We also accept donations of items to include in the raffle and auction. These donations are tax-deductible as GLC, Inc. is a non-profit organization.
All attendees of the Great Lakes Congress 2014 No Frills Show Series agree that the officers, members, and invitees of the Show conducted by the Great Lakes Congress, Inc., as well as the personnel of the Huntley Park District and their respective organizations are not and shall not be responsible for any liability loss including theft, personal injury, or property damage arising out of or in connection with the Show.
Halter/Performance Division Information
- Each halter horse may show in only one breed class. Entrants may not show a horse in one class, then change its breed and show it in another class. NOTE: if the judge removes a horse from a class due to its breed (ex: a Morab in the “Other Light” class when it should be in “Half Arab/NSH”), the horse may be entered in the correct breed class if that class has not been closed.
- ALL models that are not pure breeds or a registerable breed MUST go into the mixed breed class. If you have questions, ask the judge before the class begins.
- All halter classes, unless specifically labeled as “customized,” are for original finish models. The models may be from any company, including Breyer, Stone, Schleich, Papo, and others, and may be made of plastic, acetate, china, metal, or any other material.
- Halter classes will NOT be judged on collectability. Rarer models of horses are allowed in all classes, but are not required for any classes.
- For custom classes, all customizing must be done by the owner.
- All tack and props must be either made by a commercial vendor (e.g. Breyer, Schleich), or by the shower. Tack made by a professional hobbyist is not allowed. If you are not sure whether your tack/props are acceptable, please ask the judge before the class begins.
- Champs are to be done by points, with consideration given to horses showing and placing in only one class.
- Scene classes are for horse or other animal scenes that are not directly related to horse show classes, such as farm scenes or movie re-creations. Offensive entries will not be allowed.
- Costume classes should feature costumes seen on real horses (Arabian, Native American, etc.)
Non-realistic classes include woodgrain and decorator colors. These classes are judged on collectability, not breed.
Judges and Judge Apprenticeship
Details TBA. If you would like to shadow a judge, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Tentative Judges Are As Follows:
Halter Judge – TBA
Performance Judge – TBA
Take 47 North. You will see Deicke Park on your left. Immediately after the Park is Mill Street. Turn left on Mill. Go through 4-way stop, school is on your left. You will see a door near the number “12015” facing Mill, with an area for unloading. We are arranging to have those doors unlocked so you may unload there. Please move your car after you unload and park it in the lot, or on the street. We need to keep this lane clear for emergencies and for handicapped individuals. Main entrance and parking is around the corner of the building.
From the North
Take 47 into Huntley. Mill Street is the first intersection past Main Street. Turn right on Mill. Go through 4-way stop, school is on your left. You will see a door near the number “12015” facing Mill, with an area for unloading. We are arranging to have those doors unlocked so you may unload there. Please move your car after you unload and park it in the lot, or on the street. We need to keep this lane clear for emergencies and for handicapped individuals. Main entrance and parking is around the corner of the building.
Rt 20 exit off I-90 (WEST of 47): Super 8 in Hampshire
Randall Road exit off I-90 (EAST of 47): Comfort Inn and Suites
US 31 exit off I-90 (EAST of 47, past Randall Road): Holiday Inn & Marriott Courtyard in Elgin
North of Huntley, on Route 47: Days Inn in Woodstock